Welcome to the latest instalment of our Real Birth Story Series! This instalment has been contributed by the gorgeous Jodie, mother of 2 super cute kidlets – Milly and Cruze.

Jodie is currently operating a handmade clothing biz called MillyCruze Clothing, named after the best things in her life – her children, who are her inspiration.

MillyCruze Clothing is all about being unique and individual. When an item is made it will never be made in that same fabric in that same size again. “Because our Children are Amazing, Let them wear it on the outside”.

Once you have read through Jodie’s story, then make sure you head to her business page and check out her incredible products! In the meantime, I hope you enjoy her story as much as I did xxx

My Birth Journey – By Jodie


My Real Birth Story - Image (c) mummalifelovebaby on behalf of Jodie

When I was 21, not long after I had broken up with my boyfriend, I recall telling my boss that if I was still single at 30, then I would have a baby by myself. Well, fast forward 9 years and there I was standing all by myself wondering what the hell I was going to do.

Should I or shouldn’t I ???

Well I often wonder – did I predict my future or did I pre-empt it ?? Anyhow, here I am now with two beautiful children. And, these is my birth stories : )

My Real Birth Story - Image (c) mummalifelovebaby on behalf of Jodie

It was a Monday afternoon, and it had been a busy and active day.

I had moved back in with my parents, and it was the first day of school holidays, which meant a busy house with 4 nephews and 2 nieces aged between 2.5 to 11 years old to entertain. Plus a friend and her two kids were hanging out with us too.

I had 3 days until I was due, but I was totally convinced that Bub wasn’t going to make an appearance until 3 days AFTER I was due. Because then IT would share a birthday with her Grandpa.

I was totally exhausted and just wanted to sit on the lounge and not move for the rest of the day but alas, I had to pee. I had been holding it in for ages, so when I finally went to the loo it was no surprise that it just kept going, and going, and going! Yep. My waters had broken.

So off to the hospital I went. I was in no pain, so it was kind of an odd feeling. AM I actually having this kid now??!! It’s early. That can’t happen! LOL.

Once there, I was checked out and not long after I was told to go home and come back at 6am the following morning.

So home we went. Argh, and then the thought started going through my head – it’s going to be one of those three day labours isn’t it? Kill me now!!!

The night went on forever. I could hardly sleep, and labour pains began around 1am. By 5am I was well and truly feeling the pain, and needed to get off to the hospital again.

So off we went (we being my mum and I).

I contacted Jordan who was the student midwife that was following my journey, and she arranged to meet me at the hospital. It was lovely to have Jordan to bounce things off during the pregnancy particularly as I didn’t have a partner. To have that someone to share a part of the journey with me just gave me that extra bit of re-assurance.

At check in to the hospital, I was 4cm dilated. I was pleased with that and was hopeful that it would continue to progress consistently and be over by midday… hahahaha , boy was I WRONG!

This was 5 years ago so my memory is a little hazy, however I do recall that the baby had a monitor attached to her head (I didn’t know that it was a “her” at this stage). I think it was to monitor her heart beat. Plus I had a monitor strapped around my belly. All of this meant that I was restricted to being on my back… not exactly what I had envisaged.

My Real Birth Story - Image (c) mummalifelovebaby on behalf of Jodie

My Real Birth Story - Image (c) mummalifelovebaby on behalf of Jodie

The labour pains became so intense, that I was inhaling gas like it was oxygen.

From around 9am there were no break between contractions, so along came the Epidural at 11am finally giving me some relief. Of course the epidural made me throw up, but I hear that’s normal.

I had no qualms with having an epidural. I realise that many mums choose to go drug free, but heck, they invented it for a reason, and I’m sure our grandmothers would have said “heck yes bring it on” .

So there I was completely exhausted. I had my incredibly supportive mum with me. My sister came in too, plus Jordan the Student Midwife, and other midwives popped in and out constantly.

I just wanted this kid out!

The day dragged on, slowly I was dilating, but she wasn’t coming down the birth canal. Then 6pm rolled around and the doctors started discussing an emergency c-section. THIS WAS NOT PART OF THE PLAN!!

I stuck in a bit longer, however there was still no progress.

Finally, it was 7pm, and I was 8 cm dialated. It was over 24 hours since my waters had broken, and now the decision had to be made. I was going in for an emergency caesarian section.

So, with exhaustion fully set in, half starved as I hadn’t eaten all day, and with emotions running high, the tears rolled down my checks as I kissed my mum goodbye and prepared to be wheeled into the theatre. I had another hit of epidural and another vomit, and then off I went.

I drifted in and out of sleep as the surgeon did his job and then finally my baby girl was delivered! It was the happiest moment of my entire life.

My mum came in and met my darling Amelia, and we both cried with joy.

My Real Birth Story - Image (c) mummalifelovebaby on behalf of Jodie

Amelia was born at Logan Hospital. The nurses and doctors where amazing, however afterwards I was on a ward of 6 women and it was awful. There were families of other cultures “praying” and chanting loudly. The lady next to me had her partner stay with her and he snored all night, plus his phone was ringing ALL day and night long, with only a curtain between us!

And to make it worse, because I’d had major abdominal surgery, I was in pain to the point that I couldn’t even get up to change my babies first nappy 🙁

I had endured 24 hours of labour & it felt like my ribs had been broken from all the kicking my little miss did when she was inside. I was really struggling emotionally and physically and I just wanted to get home.

It was at 7pm Friday night when I finally got home, to begin my new journey called Motherhood.

It’s hard to imagine now that that was five years ago.


My Real Birth Story - Image (c) mummalifelovebaby on behalf of Jodie

I knew I wasn’t finished and that I wanted to have siblings close in age. So I threw caution to the wind and said “stuff it, let’s have another baby!”.

At 13 months old I stopped breastfeeding Amelia so that I could get my period back. I had heard about grieving breastfeeding but never actually thought it was true. BUT IT IS! So Ladies – be prepared for that! Even though it was only once or twice a day, and I was mentally prepared for it, it still left a funny feeling inside me.

In November, I conceived my second child. And by “conceive”, I should say it was completed turkey baster style. The amazing sperm donor whom I found via the FSDW website, has selflessly allowed me to become a mother – an incredible role that I was destined for not only once, but twice.

The pregnancy was stock standard. There was some general morning sickness in the beginning, but other than that there was no hiccups.

I absolutely loved the feeling of being pregnant. Knowing that I was creating a life, and that cells were forming inside of me that would be a real life being…It blows my mind…the miracle of having a baby!

Fast forward 9 months, and I was well and truly ready to have this baby O.U.T ! Once again I didn’t find out the gender but I had a gut feeling it was a “He”.

After having a c-section I was determined to have a natural birth. So when he didn’t come early like Amelia did I was surprised, and a little deflated. LOL.

The days went on, and the waiting was tiring. I had my 40 week check up at the usual Tuesday clinic at the relatively new Gold Coast University Hospital, with still no sign of him making his way out. …

I waited another week. I had my 41 week check up at the Tuesday clinic again, and the doctors booked me in to have an induction for Thursday morning. That was not part of my birth plan – which P.S I had a 4 step plan: 1) get it out. 2) happy to have any and all drugs 3) preferably a VBAC and 4) GET IT OUT!

So at that 41 week check up, I was being examined when all of a sudden – whoa ouch!

The doctor calmly looked at me and said “I just did a stretch and sweep”. Hmm… I actually think that it was better that I didn’t know what was about to happen.

So off I toddled home again, for some more waiting. Argh.

I need to preface this next part, by saying that he was a real KICKER! Just like his big sister he had strong legs and I became his punching bag.

So at 11.30pm when I thought he was awake and kicking again, I suddenly realised that it just didn’t stop, so I timed it. At 2minutes apart, I was possibly in labour.

I got up with the intention to wee and felt a “boom” feeling. And just like that, my waters had broken. It was exactly like bursting a balloon, and was smack on midnight. As soon as I could make my way up the hall way, I woke my mum and said lets GO!
I called the hospital to let them know I was on my way, meanwhile having 2 contractions during that short phone call. My dad (Grandpa) was told to care for Amelia while we headed off to have the baby!

So off we went, racing down the M1 at midnight, with me squirming in pain.

Mum wheeled me up to maternity, and it didn’t feel like the lady could work ANY SLOWER at letting me in to the ward! Finally at 12:59pm I was checked in, and was 6cm dilated. The pain was unbelievable.

The midwife was lovely, and made me feel completely at ease and in safe hands. It was all happening so fast that the only option available to me was gas, which I inhaled like air.

Again I was restricted to being on my back on the hospital bed, although I don’t really know why.

A lady doctor came back and forth to check on me, and I felt like this unending series of contractions went on forever until finally I was allowed to push.

If you ask my mother I looked like I was about to burst, my face went all red, and I couldn’t get enough of the gas. Although it did make me a little light headed, but with out it the pain was simply unbearable.

Then finally he was born at 1:59pm and it was over (thank god for that)! It was a baby boy!!

I heard that first cry, and had that first cuddle. And NOTHING could beat that. The pain was all worth it.
I was over the moon, and he couldn’t have been more perfect.

My Real Birth Story - Image (c) mummalifelovebaby on behalf of Jodie

I had been ripped and required stitches – the doctor was down there for around 40 minutes.

So as this was all so fast there as no time to get the hospital bag, or camera or anything. At one point mum had wanted to go and get it, but I knew it was too late. If she had left me she would have missed it, and I knew that’s not something she wanted, nor did I.

Cruze is the 10th grandchild, and the only birth she had actually witnessed. Mum was pretty chuffed about that.

I was asked if I was leaving around 9am that morning (yep, they kick you out after 6 hours if everything seems ok) – and I answered HELL NO! That wasn’t happening. I was exhausted. I had a brand-new baby, stitches up the wazoo, I couldn’t sit properly AND I had a 2 year old at home! Hahaha your funny, I said. So I got to stay in the Hospital until Friday. Then we were good to go!

And that was the beginning of the rest of my life <3

My Real Birth Story - Image (c) mummalifelovebaby on behalf of Jodie

Still to this day I am constantly asked “When are you going to move out from your parents house?” (like its anyone else’s business). But I have such a wonderful family, including two sisters that live in the same suburb (just a short walk around the corner), my kids have their 6 cousins close by and I have the emotional and physical help raising my tribe. So there is no reason for me to move.

As the saying goes – it takes a village to raise a child, and WE are one big happy family. xxx

My Real Birth Story - Image (c) mummalifelovebaby on behalf of Jodie

A final note from Jodie: Don’t get caught up with life and all its busy-ness with your first child, to neglect taking photo’s of your second pregnancy. Being a single mum it’s far too easy to be behind the camera all of the time. Don’t be embarrassed or ashamed to ask others to take photo’s of you and your tribe. You may one day want to look back on those days. ❤


Want to check out Jodie’s amazing business – MillyCruze Clothing? Then follow her via the below platforms today!

Facebook: www.facebook.com/millycruzeclothing
Instagram: www.instagram.com/millycruzeclothing
Etsy: www.etsy.com/shop/millycruzeclothing

Do you want to share YOUR Real Birth Story with the world? Well, we would love to read it! Leave your details in the box below, and I will send you out the details on how YOU can be involved! xxx

[contact-form][contact-field label=’Name’ type=’name’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Email’ type=’email’ required=’1’/][contact-field label=’Website’ type=’url’/][contact-field label=’Comment’ type=’textarea’ required=’1’/][/contact-form]